Friday, March 29, 2013

Bruised & Battered.

Seattle & I-5 from the Dr. Rizal Bridge



I finally made my way out to the Dr. Rizal Bridge in Seattle over last weekend. I snapped quite a few photos, and spent the rest of the week editing and nit-picking my way through all of them in order to choose the ones I wanted to put on display. I ended up with five, and I hope that you all enjoy them as much as I do.

You can see the rest of them:
on Google+
on Facebook
on Flickr
on 500px

But in 1962 the needle made its big debut 
And everybody forgot what it outgrew

The photo shown above, to me, shows just what the city of Seattle is. It does not show off the Space Needle, or the Market, or anything real glamourous about the city. It is brutally honest. At this time in the evening, at 6:45 p, one would expect there to be more traffic flowing out of a city, rather than in. But with a city such as Seattle, the flux of people, vehicles, machinery... never ceases. This city is taken advantage of, with people plowing in and out without taking notice of just what it is that they are a part of. 

Just fifty years ago, the Smith Tower - seen to the furthest-most left side of the image - was the tallest structure in all of Seattle; a site to strike awe, revered, and put on display on postcards and the like.

As with all things, people grow bored, desiring the new and shiny. 

Slow down. Take notice. Embrace. Be present. Be mindful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment